Re: Arrays of Complex Types

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "PG Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Arrays of Complex Types
Date: 2007-03-03 17:45:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:

>> >2. Make a command: CREATE TYPE ARRAY OF "foo";
>> >
>> >The latter has the benefit of not restricting it to an arbitrary choice
>> >of types, you could accept both domains and composite types here.
>
> I'm thinking that DOMAINs over simple types should just automatically
> get corresponding array types. We don't yet support DOMAINs over
> complex types, but when we do, whatever we do with arrays of regular
> complex types should apply the same way.

Just a thought, but if we supported domains over complex types we could kill
two birds with one stone and say when you create a domain the array type is
created and that's how you have to refer to arrays over complex types.
Probably doesn't make anything easier though. Just a thought.

--
Gregory Stark