Re: BUG #15074: psql client never returns when creating index (long running operation)

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Lars Vonk <lars(dot)vonk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15074: psql client never returns when creating index (long running operation)
Date: 2018-02-20 18:35:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Lars> Hi,
Lars> Thanks for replying. I will double check the network settings,
Lars> but couldn't find anything.

I've seen this so many times that I'd bet a fair sum on it.

Lars> Are there any psql / postgres settings I can check, I couldn't
Lars> find any that might be affecting this.

The only relevant pg settings are the tcp_keepalives_* ones, which (on
operating systems that support this, i.e. not Windows) cause pg to
request a different keepalive timeout from the OS's default. Note that
OS defaults themselves default to a bit over 2 hours unless you
explicitly configure something else.

Likewise on the client side, if you are using an OS that supports it,
you can use keepalives_idle= in the connection string.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)