Re: Bug fix for glibc broke freebsd build in REL_11_STABLE

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug fix for glibc broke freebsd build in REL_11_STABLE
Date: 2018-09-05 19:01:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom> If you wanted to argue that the set of people who still want to
Tom> run PG on pre-SSE2 hardware is the empty set, that'd be an easier
Tom> sell really.

At the very minimum, I believe FreeBSD project policy would require that
the i386 packages for postgresql be built to run without SSE2.

Tom> But what I'm really concerned about here, given that we're
Tom> apparently talking about an ABI change,

No, there's no ABI change involved.

Tom> I'm actually a bit surprised to hear that you can just randomly
Tom> add -msse2 on BSDen. Do they ship separate copies of libc et al to
Tom> make that work?

-msse2 just tells the compiler to assume that the SSE2 instructions and
registers are available for use (and if so, it will always use them for
floats in preference to the x87 registers where possible), it doesn't
change the ABI: all function results are still bounced through the x87
register stack (and float/double parameters are not passed in registers
anyway).

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)