Clarify deleting comments and security labels in synopsis

From: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Clarify deleting comments and security labels in synopsis
Date: 2023-01-31 17:07:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Hackers,

A user on IRC was confused about how to delete a security label using
the `SECURITY LABLEL ON … IS …` command, and looking at the docs I can
see why.

The synopsis just says `IS 'label'`, which implies that it can only be a
string. It's not until you read the description for `label` that you
see "or `NULL` to drop the security label." I propose making the
synopsis say `IS { 'label' | NULL }` to make it clear that it can be
NULL as well. The same applies to `COMMENT ON … IS …`, which I've also
changed similarly in the attached.

- ilmari

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Clarify-that-COMMENT-and-SECURITY-LABEL-can-be-set-t.patch text/x-diff 1.9 KB