Re: Sampling profiler updated

From: Stefan Moeding <pgsql(at)moeding(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sampling profiler updated
Date: 2009-07-14 19:04:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

Itagaki Takahiro writes:

> I updated Sampling profiler patch to be applied to HEAD cleanly.
>
> [...]
>
> Comments welcome.

I believe the profiler could give us a better understanding of where
different parts of the user visible response time originate from. The
problem with DTrace in my opinion is the lack of support on certain
platforms (e.g. Windows) and the need to have kernel support and root
access, which might not be available to the DBA or developer.

Have you thought about keeping the counters for each backend isolated?
I think in the end it would be beneficial to be able to break down the
response time for a critical business transaction in isolation instead
of having all backends in one figure.

Do you know the work of Cary Millsap at http://www.method-r.com/ who has
been working on response time based tuning in Oracle?

Regards,
Stefan