Re: SQL compatibility reminder: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL compatibility reminder: MySQL vs PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-03-05 21:14:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

francois(dot)perou(at)free(dot)fr (François Pérou) writes:
> * I am very surprised by the SQL level of Php developers. The example
> Drupal developers trying to rewrite SQL queries dynamically adding
> DISTINCT clause is just an example. So don't expect them to understand
> the difference between MySQL and PostgreSQL. It is out of reach. They
> focuse on Php code.

If they refuse to contemplate suggestions as to how to write more
portable SQL queries that would work with databases other than MySQL,
then I don't know what constructive discussion there can be about this.

> I believe that PostgreSQL should support more MySQLisms in order to BEAT
> MySQL.

Why, when the MySQLisms in questions are divergences from the SQL
standards, and the issue seems to bite all the other databases in more
or less the same way?

It doesn't seem to me that the answer to "Drupal developers refuse to
consider writing portable SQL" is to try to impose MySQL's divergences
from SQL onto all the *other* DBMSes.
--
"Have you noticed that, when we were young, we were told that
`everybody else is doing it' was a really stupid reason to do