Re: Extended customizing, SQL functions,

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extended customizing, SQL functions,
Date: 2004-05-29 14:13:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com writes:

> Having internal PostgreSQL variables that are not present on disk, or
> maybe, variables that are mirrored on disk may be good.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your idea, and there are numerous
good solutions that implement it already. But what makes you think this
belongs in Postgres?

There are plenty of memory and disk based shared databases that are
non-transactional and non-relational and meant for storing just this kind of
non-relational data. Some are much faster than postgres for simple
non-concurrent one-record lookups and updates like this.

Use the right tool for the job. Don't try to make one tool do everything,
especially something that's anathema to its basic design.

--
greg