Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date: 2006-02-15 13:21:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

The world rejoiced as kaare(at)jasonic(dot)dk (Kaare Rasmussen) wrote:
>> - Perl users usually depend on DBI; an "attack" on DBI could make
>> PostgreSQL "less usable" for them.
>
> How do you see an attack on DBI could be possible? AFAIK DBI has the same
> license as Perl, is released on CPAN and i behaving like any other CPAN
> module.

If Oracle hired off all the people that have worked on the DBI
implementation, that would make it troublesome for a team to emerge to
continue to support it. There would be a "learning curve" period, at
the very least...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lsf.html