Re: Flaky vacuum truncate test in reloptions.sql

From: Arseny Sher <a(dot)sher(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Flaky vacuum truncate test in reloptions.sql
Date: 2021-04-01 07:58:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 12:52:21PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> Just to be clear the context, I’m mentioning the following test case:

Sorry, I misremembered the test and assumed the table is non-empty there
while it is empty but vacuum_truncate is disabled. Still, this doesn't
change my conclusion of freezing being not a big deal there due to small
chance of locked page. Anyway, let's finish with this.

> What you are writing here makes sense to me. Looking at the test, it
> is designed to test vacuum_truncate, aka that the behavior we want to
> stress (your former case here) gets stressed all the time, so adding
> the options to avoid the latter case all the time is an improvement.
> And this, even if the latter case does not actually cause a diff and
> it has a small chance to happen in practice.
>
> It would be good to add a comment explaining why the options are
> added (aka just don't skip any pages).

How about the attached?

-- cheers, arseny

Attachment Content-Type Size
reloptions_freeze.patch text/x-diff 2.3 KB