is it possible to do this? have a subselect that returns two columns

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: is it possible to do this? have a subselect that returns two columns
Date: 2003-09-03 18:25:11
Lists: pgsql-general

So I have a query in which some of the select values are subqueries. The
subqueries are aggregates so I don't want to turn this into a join, it would
become too complex and postgres would have trouble optimizing things.

So my question is, is there some way to have a subselect return multiple
columns and break those out in the outer query?

Something like:

SELECT x,y,z,
(SELECT a,b FROM foo) AS (sub_a,sub_b)
FROM tab

I don't think it's possible but it would simplify my life a whole heck of a
lot if it was, so I figured I would double-check before tearing my hair out.

--
greg