Re: RC2 and open issues

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RC2 and open issues
Date: 2004-12-22 16:04:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Maybe we need a hybrid approach: clean a few percent of the LRU end of
> the ARC list in order to keep backends from blocking on writes, plus run
> a clock scan to keep checkpoints from having to do much.

Well if you just keep note of when the last clock scan started then when you
get to the end of the list you've _done_ a checkpoint.

Put another way, we already have such a clock scan, it's called checkpoint.
You could have checkpoint delay between each page write long enough to spread
the checkpoint i/o out over a configurable amount of time -- say half the
checkpoint interval -- and be done with that side of things.

--
greg