Upgrading Extenions from 8.4

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrading Extenions from 8.4
Date: 2011-09-26 13:34:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'm in the middle of catching-up with pgsql-general and I see several
confused users about how to upgrade directly from 8.4. As Tom said, we
could easily provide upgrade scripts to handle the move, we just
didn't, so there's some more manual work to do.

I'm wondering how much work that really is — I had a SQL query that was
good at preparing the extension--unpackaged--1.0.sql script, so I could
use that to produce a set of extension--unpackaged-in-8.4--1.0.sql ones.

Now, should I get to do that, would that be accepted into PostgreSQL
itself in, say, 9.1.2? If not, I have to think about how to distribute
that, and depending on how to, if there's any value doing that for our
users.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine