Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?

From: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: David Terrell <dbt(at)meat(dot)net>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date: 2002-05-02 22:01:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:

> On Wed, 1 May 2002, David Terrell wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 02:24:30PM -0400, mlw wrote:
> > > Just out of curiosity, does PostgreSQL have a mission statement?
> > >
> > > If so, where could I find it?
> > >
> > > If not, does anyone see a need?
> >
> > "Provide a really good database and have fun doing it"
>
> Motto: "The best damned database money can't buy"

I don't think that any of the PostgreSQL developers would want, in any
way shape or form, to suggest that you can't pay money for PostgreSQL.
Nor are they likely to limit themselves to competing with free
(libre/gratis) databases.

Some of them might even object to the use of the word "damn" :).

Jason