Re: PostgreSQL insert speed tests

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL insert speed tests
Date: 2004-02-27 15:05:45
Lists: pgsql-general

> > create index agentid_ndx on logs using hash (agentid);
> > create index ownerid_ndx on logs using hash (ownerid);
> > create index hostid_ndx on logs using hash (hostid);

> > What about concurrent inserts (cocurrent spare test program execution) into
> > the same table? It did not work.

Hash indexes have relatively poor concurrency, though I think it should still
work. You probably want to be using btree indexes for everything though,
unless you can actually profile the two and show hash indexes being a big win.

Note that there were bugs in the hash index code at least through most 7.3
versions.

--
greg