Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Burcu GUZEL <burcu(dot)guzel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI
Date: 2006-01-31 01:31:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 20:03 -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:
>
>> What value does this bring to systems that have a good package system
>> and up-to-date repositories? I can install Postgres today on Ubuntu
>> using a GUI tool, and install another GUI tool to configure and
>> adminsiter it.
>
> You can install, but what if you need different configure options than
> the package provides? This means a rebuild of the package. Instead, we
> will build and install that package via the installer.

That's actually a pretty cool idea--compile and generate debs/rpms
that reflect the user's choices, then install them. But the
dependency on a compiler adds a twist of complexity--"sorry, you need
to install the following system packages (gcc, etc) before you can
install Postgres as you've configured it." Not horrible, but perhaps
intimidating for the GUI crowd? :) Is gcc in the bog-standard
default install on FC these days?

Certainly you can install pre-built binaries without a compiler, and
let the user choose database location, autovacuum settings and stuff
like that.

Good luck!

-Doug