Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Burcu GUZEL <burcu(dot)guzel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI
Date: 2006-01-31 01:45:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 20:31 -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:
> > You can install, but what if you need different configure options than
> > the package provides? This means a rebuild of the package. Instead, we
> > will build and install that package via the installer.
>
> That's actually a pretty cool idea--compile and generate debs/rpms
> that reflect the user's choices, then install them. But the
> dependency on a compiler adds a twist of complexity--"sorry, you need
> to install the following system packages (gcc, etc) before you can
> install Postgres as you've configured it." Not horrible, but perhaps
> intimidating for the GUI crowd? :) Is gcc in the bog-standard
> default install on FC these days?

We can pre-check the prerequisites for building the package and raise an
error before beginning to build the package. It is not that hard. For
example, RPMs have BuildRequires tags and we can compare those with the
packages installed in the system.

BTW, gcc is not installed on by default AFAIR.

Regards,