Re: Using PostgresQL as a database back-end

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using PostgresQL as a database back-end
Date: 2006-04-23 03:53:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, amadeus0(at)cox(dot)net (Amadeus Zilfinski) belched out:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use PostgresQL as a back-end for my program. What I'm looking
> for is something similar to sqlite, as in being able to compile a dll/so
> and use/call it from my program. Are there any pointers/documentation
> that I could use?

No, that isn't something you can do with PostgreSQL. If you
honest-to-goodness *do* need to have a database engine embedded (via
linking in the whole engine) into your application, then SQLite is
probably one of the better options out there.

There hasn't been terribly much interest in making PostgreSQL more
fragile, which would be the concommittant effect of making it
"embeddable like SQLite"...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lisp.html