Re: pgpool

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgpool
Date: 2006-07-06 12:42:17
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-advocacy

After a long battle with technology, adey11(at)gmail(dot)com (adey), an earthling, wrote:
> Please could someone give me an idea of what pgpool is, and where I can research it?
>
> I have run a search on postgresql.org and found many references, but
> they don't explain what it is, and it doesn't appear in the
> documentation index of the v8.1 manuals.

It's not officially part of the database, so no, it's not in the
database documentation.

<http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/>

It's a connection pool server implemented in C... The notion is that
you run your database on (say) port 5432, and then put pgpool in
between, on port 4432.

pgpool opens up some fixed number of connections to the database,
keeping them open, and your application connects to port 4432, as if
it were a direct connection to the database.

pgpool then manages the connections, basically keeping them open
irrespective of how your application handles connections.

This can be a big help to performance if your application is pretty
loose about opening and closing connections whenever it likes.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lsf.html