Re: BUG #5087: Submitted bug reports not showing up in a timely manner (or at all)

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane), Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5087: Submitted bug reports not showing up in a timely manner (or at all)
Date: 2009-09-29 21:40:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>> They get processed in the moderator queue of -bugs along with all
>> other posts there... We're probably just back in the situation
>> where we need more moderators for it...

Tom> A quick grep in my mail logs shows that since Jan 1, I have
Tom> received 440 bug-reporter emails, bearing numbers from 4598 to
Tom> 5087 (a range of 490 numbers). So Andrew's "one-third" is a
Tom> large exaggeration,

My "one-third" figure is out of those cases where I say to someone on
IRC, "you need to submit this as a bug", they say "ok, I filled in the
reporting form and it gave me number #nnnn". This sample is probably
quite biased against people who would already have been subscribed to
the -bugs list.

(In most cases I encourage people to submit their own bugs rather than
trying to own the issue for them. If it looks important, I do try and
make sure that they subscribe to -bugs first; but I can't guarantee
that they do, and nor am I in a position to track the issue to make
sure it really does show up. The one-third figure is only an impression
based on the number of cases in which I am later reminded of the bug and

Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)