Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables)

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables)
Date: 2018-12-20 00:54:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12/18/18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'd be kind of inclined to convert all uses of ScanKeyword to the
>> new way, if only for consistency's sake. On the other hand, I'm not
>> the one volunteering to do the work.

John> That's reasonable, as long as the design is nailed down first.
John> Along those lines, attached is a heavily WIP patch that only
John> touches plpgsql unreserved keywords, to test out the new
John> methodology in a limited area. After settling APIs and
John> name/directory bikeshedding, I'll move on to the other four
John> keyword types.

Is there any particular reason not to go further and use a perfect hash
function for the lookup, rather than binary search?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)