Re: static pg_dump

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: static pg_dump
Date: 2003-10-31 16:34:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > Is there any way we could build a static version of the 7.4 pg_dump, to
> > make it easy to dump existing databases using the 7.4 dump? Otherwise,
> > it's quite difficult to arrange to have two different postgres
> > installations, etc...
>
> Why? There should be no problem installing both 7.3 and 7.4 libpq.so
> --- if they don't have different version numbers, something's wrong.

libpq? I thought only the minor version number changed. On linux that means
you can only usefully have one installed at once, the older one would never be
used. I think on other OSes the older one might be used sometimes.

In any case, can't 7.3 pg_dump use the 7.4 libpq?
If not then the major version should be bumped.

--
greg