Re: Postgres Sql7.3 Update

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Sql7.3 Update
Date: 2009-09-03 16:07:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

kunwarpal(dot)rawat(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in ("kunwarpal.rawat") writes:
> > I am currently using postgresql version 7.3 and I want to upgrade this version.
>
> So, can you please help me regarding the
>
> 1. List of upgrades/patches/service packs available to update the
> postgresql 7.3 version

It's no longer a supported version, so you'll not find very much that's
specific to 7.3.

Since 7.3.21, released over a year ago, was the last update, it is
highly likely that you will want to upgrade to something rather less
dramatically out of date than 7.3.

Upgrading to 8.4 (the latest stable release) would involve, at least in
general terms:
- Dumping the 7.3 database using pg_dump from 8.4
(It's possible that the 8.4 pg_dump is "too new" and doesn't still
remember all the details of any oddities of 7.3; you'll want to test
this, and might discover you need to go thru some interim version to
get to what you finally want to be on)

There may be changes needed to such things as:
- data types (though I don't think there'll be *too* much -
a lot of the scary such changes were between 6.5 and 7.0)

- queries may need to be revised, as recent versions are sometimes
stricter about what kinds of data may be joined/compared

> 2. The list of feature that?s updating in each new version of the
> software.

See:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release.html
which points you to: