Difference between CAST(v AS t) and v::t

From: Lele Gaifax <lele(at)metapensiero(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Difference between CAST(v AS t) and v::t
Date: 2017-11-11 11:29:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

while writing test cases for my SQL pretty printer tool[1], I found what seems
a discrepancy in the "Type Casts" documentation[2]: it states that the two
syntaxes are equivalent, but while

CREATE TABLE contracts (
company_id uuid NOT NULL,
validity daterange NOT NULL,

EXCLUDE USING gist (CAST(company_id AS text) WITH =, validity WITH &&)
)

works, the following

CREATE TABLE contracts (
company_id uuid NOT NULL,
validity daterange NOT NULL,

EXCLUDE USING gist (company_id::text WITH =, validity WITH &&)
)

is rejected with the message "syntax error at or near "::"".

Am I misreading the documentation, or is it missing some special case?

Thanks in advance for any explanation,
ciao, lele.

[1] https://github.com/lelit/pg_query
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-expressions.html#SQL-SYNTAX-TYPE-CASTS
lele(at)metapensiero(dot)it | -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.