Re: Bug #807: Sequence currupted on recovery after kill -9

From: Florian Weimer <Weimer(at)CERT(dot)Uni-Stuttgart(dot)DE>
To: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
Cc: mthomp(at)tierfleet(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #807: Sequence currupted on recovery after kill -9
Date: 2002-10-31 20:25:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com> writes:

> I'm sure if you read the footers on Tom's email's it's pretty clearly stated
> 'do not kill -9 the postmaster'.
> So I'm not so sure that this is really a bug.

The operating environment is free to kill -9 the postmaster at any
time, and PostgreSQL is expected to ensure database consistency
nevertheless.

After all, PostgreSQL is a database and not a cardbox.

(But holes in sequence numbers certainly do not endanger database
consistency.)

--
Florian Weimer Weimer(at)CERT(dot)Uni-Stuttgart(dot)DE
University of Stuttgart http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/