Re: I have a problem of abstraction...

From: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)emicnetworks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I have a problem of abstraction...
Date: 2005-10-07 10:33:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Alfredo Rico <alfredorico(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> //for each row that I want to insert
> for(int i=1 ; i<= this.columnNumbers ; i ++)
> {
>    this.insertColumn( columnNames[i] , columnValues[i] , i  );
> }

> //For each row that I want to insert:
> public void insertColumn(String columnName, Object X , int i )
> {
>
>          this.rs.updateObject(columnName , X );
>

> I would not like to use a bulk of if setences for various data types
> according to obtained by using ResultSetMetaData.

Why not? You have to do this only once per ResultSet type.

I wrote something similar here:

https://forge.continuent.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/sequoia/src/org/continuent/sequoia/common/protocol/?cvsroot=sequoia

in SQLDataSerialization#getSerializer()

The idea is that you, compute, store and then call back some abstract
"setters", one per column.

The advantage of typing earlier is that you catch input errors
earlier: in the driver instead of inside the engine.