Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-06-18 01:07:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when josh(at)globalherald(dot)net (Josh) would write:
>> You could be specific:
>>
>> No per cpu charges.
>> No per machine charges.
>> No "extra" functionality charges.
>> Yes, more money for your business.
>
> "PostgreSQL keeps more money in your company's coffers because you can
> use all of its advanced functionality and increase the number of CPU's
> and machines whenever you want without paying additional license fees."

"PostgreSQL helps keep more money in your company's own coffers
because you can expand to use more functionality, more machines, and
more CPUs whenever you choose without incurring any licensing fees."

It may also be worth mentioning something about it being valuable to
invest...

"Given the savings in cost that PostgreSQL offers, organizations
frequently find it worthwhile to invest some part of that in assuring
the ongoing vibrancy of the community. The most visible form of such
investment may be the contribution of new code, but investment can
come in many other forms including assistance with systems integration
work to ensure that their favorite OS platforms are well supported."

Aside: I've requested edit access; I noticed a few typos here and
there in the document, and it's probably easier to Just Fix Them...

I have a thought as to dealing with the case where extensions *are*
necessary. Here's the beginning of an approach...

There may be cases where you wish to have some extension to the
database system. Traditionally, when this has been the case, you
would need to justify to the vendor the value of this, very likely
including paying them to make the change, and subsequently, for
extended support thereafter.

With PostgreSQL, organizations have found it worthwhile to have
developers (internal or external) prepare such extensions. There is
always the option of keeping these enhancements proprietary to your
own organization, but frequently it proves worthwhile to contribute
such enhancements back to the community, where, if they are of
sufficiently widespread interest, the costs of support may be divided
across an entire community of interested users.

Not all necessarily worth adding, but I suspect there's an idea or two
in there...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html