Re: Disaster!

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disaster!
Date: 2004-01-25 05:46:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > FreeBSD 4.7/4.9 and the UFS filesystem
>
> Hm, okay, I'm pretty sure that that combination wouldn't report ENOSPC
> at close(). We need to fix the code to check close's return value,
> probably, but it seems we still lack a clear explanation of what
> happened to your database.

The traditional Unix filesystems certainly don't return errors at close. Even
NFS doesn't traditionally do so. I think NFSv3 can if the server disappears
after the client obtains a lease on a piece of the file, but I'm not sure if
ENOSPC is a possible failure mode.

I do know that AFS returns quota failures on close. This was unusual enough
that when AFS was deployed at school unix tools failed left and right over
precisely this issue. Though it mostly just meant they returned the wrong exit
status.

--
greg