Re: Improving postgresql.conf

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving postgresql.conf
Date: 2004-06-16 18:46:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
> >
> >> How about *requiring* to set any variable, at least to xxx='default'?
> >
> >Don't like that ... we are not in the fascism business here ;-).

It would just make it too hard to add new variables. Nobody would be able to
upgrade without adding those variables to their config files.

That might make sense for major new features that require hands-on
involvement, but postgres tries to avoid that in favour of having everything
just work without intervention. And you don't want every user to have to
explicitly enable every new feature when upgrading.

Besides, often new variables are just new debugging hooks like
enable_hash_join or such that users shouldn't even have to know about until
they need it.

--
greg