Re: [HACKERS] Installing PL/pgSQL by default

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Mailing List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Installing PL/pgSQL by default
Date: 2009-12-10 10:44:08
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> It's not impossible that we'll have to tweak pg_dump a bit; it's
> never had to deal with languages that shouldn't be dumped ...

Ah, the best would be to have extensions maybe. Then you could do this
in initdb, filling in template0:
CREATE EXTENSION plpgsql ...;

Then at createdb time, what would become automatic is:
INSTALL EXTENSION plpgsql;

And that's it. pg_dump would now about extensions and only issues this
latter statement in its dump.

Bruce, there are some mails in the archive with quite advanced design
proposal that has been discussed and not objected to, and I even
provided a rough sketch of how I wanted to attack the problem.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-06/msg01281.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-07/msg01425.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-07/msg01468.php

The major version dependant SQL code is now much less of a problem
than before because we have inline DO statements. So you don't need to
create a function for this anymore.

Real life kept me away from having the time to prepare the code patch,
and I don't think that will change a bit in the 8.5 release cycle,
whatever my hopes were earlier this year.

But having everyone talk about the feature and come to an agreement as
to what it should provide and how was the hard part of it, I think, and
is now about done.

Would you be up for writing the extension facility?

Regards,
--
dim