Re: BUG #15142: ERROR: MultiXactId nnnnn has not been created yet -- apparent wraparound in v9.5

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: molofeev <molofeev3(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15142: ERROR: MultiXactId nnnnn has not been created yet -- apparent wraparound in v9.5
Date: 2018-04-05 14:57:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>> You said a server crash occurred while you were creating indexes. Was
>> that a hard crash (power failure, etc.) and is it possible that you had
>> fsync disabled in postgresql.conf, or hardware or filesystems that don't
>> respect fsync properly?

molofeev> That was not hard crash, and fsync was disabled.

molofeev> I was disconnected form remote terminal, which was performing
molofeev> creating indexes from sql file.

Just being disconnected remotely (for some reason other than a server
crash) isn't enough to account for the corruption; fsync=off only results
in corrupt data if there is an actual OS-level crash or unclean shutdown.

So I wouldn't rule out the possibility of hardware or storage subsystem
problems.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)