Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Robert Wojciechowski" <robertw(at)expressyard(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?
Date: 2007-06-14 22:37:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Robert Wojciechowski" <robertw(at)expressyard(dot)com> writes:

> That was my thinking; that it would speed up (bulk) inserts causing
> fewer page splits.

Ah, I understand better now. hm. high data density would be good for reading.
But I think the case for inserting is actually quite mixed. If you have lots
of processes trying to insert you'll actually get poorer performance because
they'll all have to get access to the same page. Worse, you'll probably have a
unique index.

> The other thing this modification does is allow ORDER BY to order by
> time when possible, which is a nice default behavior as well, yes?

I think that actually is quite a nice effect. Certainly the loss of it is one
of the big practical disadvantages of using UUIDs over a sequence.

--
Gregory Stark