Re: Problem with locks

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with locks
Date: 2007-08-06 12:31:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> We're seeing a problem where occasionally a process appears to be granted a
>> lock but miss its semaphore signal.
>
> Kernel bug maybe? What's the platform?

It does sound like it given the way my description went. I was worried it may
be some code path not setting waitStatus properly or the compiler caching it
incorrectly somehow.

But now that I check I see it's a pretty old kernel version (Linux 2.6.5) on
the machine. The schedule was completely rewritten by Nick Piggin since then.
I've suggested upgrading it but that may leave us in a bit of a pickle. If we
update it then that throws away all the benchmark history since we can't
really compare new benchmarks against old ones any more.

--
Gregory Stark