Re: Hey! 'lil help on Features?

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hey! 'lil help on Features?
Date: 2009-06-09 10:17:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> However, that kind of a document is not very useful for a reporter, a
> blogger,

ok.

> an application developer, or a regular PostgreSQL user who is evaluating
> PostgreSQL 8.4.

If it's not useful for an application developer evaluating 8.4 then I think
that's a problem. Do you have any specific problems we can address?

> The descriptions of changes are technical and hard to understand, and the
> organization and categories of the release notes are more based on history
> than designed for easy browsing. descriptions in the release notes give no
> clue what the feature is *for*.

These are all good suggestions but they seem like problems we should fix with
the release notes.

> Therefore, we need a second document designed to be easily understood by the
> casual user or evaluator, which glosses over technical details.
>
> This isn't new; we did it for 8.3:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/features83

I do like that document. But it seems like we should have the same structure
for the release notes and the same text, just with added details for each
item.

--
Gregory Stark
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf