Re: How hard would a "no global server" version be?

From: Rob Browning <rlb(at)cs(dot)utexas(dot)edu>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, developer(at)lists(dot)mysql(dot)com
Subject: Re: How hard would a "no global server" version be?
Date: 2000-08-29 05:22:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net> writes:

> I think all of this is completely do-able with a few small hacks on
> the application's side. First off you can invoke postgresql with
> a -D option (where the data is) that points to some subdir in the
> user's homedirectory. The only real problem that I see that there
> doesn't seem to be a way to specify the path to unix domain socket
> that postgresql uses, but that shouldn't be too difficult to fix
> probably no more than an hour of coding or so.

Hmm. Actually, if this really is feasable, and if we decide this is
the way we'd like to go, I'd be happy to spend quite a few hours
making this work right, documenting it, etc.

Looks like I'll have to do some poking around and talk to some of the
other gnucash developers. Spending time on postgresql might be a much
better investment than spending time on the libxml output/input format
I was about to begin.

Thanks so much.

--
Rob Browning <rlb(at)cs(dot)utexas(dot)edu> PGP=E80E0D04F521A094 532B97F5D64E3930