Re: Db synch - need advice

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Db synch - need advice
Date: 2011-01-10 17:59:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

didiergm(at)gmail(dot)com (Didier Gasser-Morlay) writes:
> Instead of reinventing the wheel I thought I would ask what you all
> reckon  would be the best strategy

Unfortunately, "simple and reliable" are commonly not notably compatible
in this regard; it's quite likely to be impossible.

"Simple but wrong" is pretty likely to happen.

"Complex and wrong" is also pretty likely to happen.

"Complex and reliable" is the best scenario I'd realistically expect to
be able to hope for.

The much easier "technical answer" is likely to be to improve
connectivity to the central database. Wireless connectivity is getting
good enough that it's quite likely to be cheaper to get the sales guys
data plans for their "Rocket Sticks" rather than to redesign the
application.

The trouble is that you are certain to *badly* need a bunch of business
policy as to the default handlings of conflict resolution. (e.g. - what
does the system do if 2 salescritters, who are both offline, try to sell
the same lots of product?)

That'll be a big business fight all the way through, impinging on your
technical solution, even though it's not "technical stuff."
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/wp.html