Re: Abbreviated keys for Numeric

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Abbreviated keys for Numeric
Date: 2015-03-23 01:52:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Was there some reason why you added #include "utils/memutils.h"?
>> Because I don't see anything in your patch that actually needs it.

Peter> MaxAllocSize is defiined there.

So it is. (That seems to me to be another mistake along the same lines
as putting the context callbacks in memutils; it's a definition that
callers of palloc need to use, even if they're not creating contexts
themselves.)

However, given that this is a buffer for aligning VARATT_IS_SHORT
datums, allowing it to expand to MaxAllocSize seems like overkill; the
updated patch I just posted preallocates it at the max size of a short
varlena (plus long varlena header).

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)