Re: psql and readline comments

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Дилян Палаузов <dpa-postgres(at)aegee(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql and readline comments
Date: 2019-01-29 04:59:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruce> Uh, bind as a key? Does the patch have any effect then?

As I said, libedit does not bind M-# by default, and has no equivalent
to readline's comment-begin variable. I have no idea what the patch
would do when linked against libedit without actually trying it out
(which I have not done).

Bruce> If not, maybe we should just do this for libreadline.

Bear in mind that for licensing reasons, some package builds build psql
against libedit but then wedge readline in at runtime using LD_PRELOAD.
So doing things differently at compile time based on whether it's
libedit or readline will not work well with that.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)