Re: Ecpg dependency

From: ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker )
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Filip Janus <fjanus(at)redhat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ecpg dependency
Date: 2020-03-21 19:30:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 02:14:44PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 01:47:14PM +0100, Filip Janus wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > After upgrade from 11.2 to 12.2 I found, that build of ecpg component depends
>> > on pgcommon_shlib and pgport_shlib.  But build of ecpg doesn't include build
>> > of pgcommon_shlib and pgport_shlib. That means, if I want to build ecpg, first
>> > I need to build  pgcommon_shlib and pgport_shlib and after that I am able to
>> > build ecpg.
>> >
>> > I would like to ask if this behavior is expected or not ? Because previous
>> > version doesn't require this separate builds.
>>
>> Ah, I see the problem, and this is a new bug in PG 12. The attached
>> patch fixes PG 12 and master.
>
>> + all-lib: | submake-libpgport
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention I got this line from
> src/interfaces/libpq/Makefile:

And that line is wrong, but my patch to fix it¹ seems to have fallen
between the cracks.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/871rsa13ae.fsf%40wibble.ilmari.org

Adding the dependency to `all-lib` only fixes it for serial builds. To
fix it properly, so it works with parallel builds (e.g. 'make -j4 -C
src/interfaces/ecpg', the dependency needs to be declared via
SHLIB_PREREQS, as attached

- ilmari
--
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in
the mainstream press' sense at least. - Matt McLeod

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-missing-libpgport-prereq-in-ecpg-s-pgtypeslib.patch text/x-diff 805 bytes