Re: Upgrade issue (again).

From: Adrian Phillips <adrianp(at)powertech(dot)no>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade issue (again).
Date: 2001-05-18 13:07:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I am not going to beat it into the ground this time -- I have
>> argued the issue at length before (some would say for far too
>> long! :-)). But I am going to drop reminders as we get bug
>> reports and compliants. And Iwould remind the group that MySQL
>> does this easily -- it has utilities to migrate between its
>> different table types.

Bruce> It is my understanding that the MySQL heap format hasn't
Bruce> changed since 1991. I think that helps them upgrade. We
Bruce> add features too quickly. :-)

Just to clear this little bit of particularly unconstructive FUD from
the air , no they haven't changed NISAM but created a new format :-

Upgrading from a 3.22 version to 3.23
-------------------------------------

*MySQL* 3.23 supports tables of the new `MyISAM' type and the old
`NISAM' type. You don't have to convert your old tables to use these
with 3.23. By default, all new tables will be created with type
`MyISAM' (unless you start `mysqld' with the
`--default-table-type=isam' option. You can change an `ISAM' table to a
`MyISAM' table with `ALTER TABLE' or the Perl script
`mysql_convert_table_format'.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--