Re: java connection closing itself

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>
To: Clifton Zama <csz(at)jhb(dot)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: java connection closing itself
Date: 2005-04-12 10:54:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Clifton Zama <csz 'at' jhb.ucs.co.za> writes:

> Hi
>
> What would cause a connection to automatically close within a
> java program.It gets to a point where I have an inner loop that
> calls a recursive method that creates resultsets.But I am
> closing all my result sets, so I do not know why the connection
> simply closes itself.Please help.

There is a "bug" in which the DB driver tells you that the
connection is closed, although it isn't really closed, in
situations where the data is not available anymore.

Such a situation occurs when a ResultSet has been closed but you
are still trying to extract data from it. A ResultSet can be
closed by calling its close method, but also implicitely when the
Statement object that generated it is closed, re-executed, or is
used to retrieve the next result from a sequence of multiple
results.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/sql/ResultSet.html#close()

To make it short: if you're nesting multiple #executeQuery() on a
single Statement object, you're going to have this problem if
your loop goes down the nesting and does subsequent accesses to
the ResultSet.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau