Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?
Date: 2005-06-01 08:21:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 00:40 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > This doesn't work for COPY, but maybe for CREATE TABLE AS we could log
> > the fact that the command was executed, so the replayer could execute
> > the same command again.
> >
> > Of course, this handwaving doesn't explain how the system in recovery
> > mode would be able to execute a full query to reconstruct the table
>
> There's also the typical problem with this kind of approach: how do you
> handle non-deterministic queries? (e.g. "CREATE TABLE ... AS SELECT
> random(), gettimeofday(), some_func(t1.x) FROM t1 LIMIT 5")

For CREATE TABLE AS in the non-PITR case you don't really need to WAL log the
records at all. If it fails in the middle you just drop the table. When it
completes you do a checkpoint before acknowledging the COMMIT.

I think this is already done for CREATE INDEX/REINDEX, also only in the
non-PITR case.

--
greg