Re: Locales and Encodings

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Locales and Encodings
Date: 2007-10-12 15:19:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:

> Am Freitag, 12. Oktober 2007 schrieb Martijn van Oosterhout:
>> Where we're stuck is that we can't agree on a
>> source of locale data. People don't want the ICU or glibc data and
>> there's no other source as readily available.
>
> What were the objections to ICU?

It's introducing a new dependency to do something fundamental to Postgres, one
that's larger than all of Postgres.

It would make Postgres inconsistent and less integrated with the rest of the
OS. How do you explain that Postgres doesn't follow the system's
configurations and the collations don't agree with the system collations?

--
Gregory Stark