Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A small rant about coding style for backend functions
Date: 2007-11-07 15:49:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> They are clear, useful and easy to understand.
>
> [1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0007/
> [2] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

I didn't look at the second but the first at least is a good example of a
style guide which is *not* useful. It's dominated by discussions of
white-space and other formatting issues.

The only points in this style guide which seem at all useful is the bits near
the beginning about not using GCC extensions which hardly needs stating... to
the extent that it's even true.

None of these points in here seem at all analogous to the important kind of
style details like what Tom was pointing out about using GETARG_* at the top
of your function to make the argument types clear.

--
Gregory Stark