RE: New statistics for tuning WAL buffer size

From: Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: New statistics for tuning WAL buffer size
Date: 2020-08-19 05:10:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-08-19 13:49, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com wrote:
> From: Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
>> If my understanding is correct, we have to measure the performance
>> impact first.
>> Do you know HariBabu is now trying to solve it? If not, I will try to
>> modify patches to apply HEAD.
>
> No, he's not doing it anymore. It'd be great if you could resume it.

OK, thanks.

> However, I recommend sharing your understanding about what were the
> issues with those two threads and how you're trying to solve them.
> Was the performance overhead the blocker in both of the threads?

In my understanding, some comments are not solved in both of the
threads.
I think the following works are remained.

1) Modify patches to apply HEAD
2) Get consensus what metrics we collect and how to use them for tuning.
3) Measure performance impact and if it leads poor performance, we solve
it.

Regards,
--
Masahiro Ikeda