Re: PCI:SSF - Safe SQL Query & operators filter

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Jan Bilek <jan(dot)bilek(at)eftlab(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PCI:SSF - Safe SQL Query & operators filter
Date: 2022-11-08 01:50:12
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Nov 7, 2022, at 17:43, Jan Bilek <jan(dot)bilek(at)eftlab(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
>
> Well, superuser (our App) is already logged in and as it is designed
> very much as an "appliance" it simply does that job - manages its
> database.

Well... don't do that. :) The problem is analogous to having root log into a Linux box and run application commands. It works, but it opens a security hole, as you've discovered.

> Yes, agreed. Any ideas?

In this particular case (creating an untrusted PL and functions therein), you'll need to use a PostgreSQL superuser. This is a separate operation from routine application use, though. (I'll note that having functions in an untrusted PL in a PCI-sensitive system is not a great idea, as you'll need to audit them very closely to make sure that they can't do anything untoward outside the role system.)