Re: Making dirty reads possible?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)vankoperen(dot)nl
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Making dirty reads possible?
Date: 2004-12-06 21:28:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

pgsql-sql(at)vankoperen(dot)nl writes:

> But not possible for real at the moment?
>
> So, summarising:
> - Nested transactions is not (yet) supported
> - READ UNCOMMITTED isolation level is not (yet) supported
> - the EXECUTE plpgsql construct does not circumvent the transaction

Well nested transactions are in 8.0 but I don't think they help you much.

I find I've been stymied using server-side functions for large batch jobs for
pretty much the same reason. I find it works better and it's more flexible to
write client-side programs in the language of my choice that connect to the
database and do the batch jobs.

They can output progress logs or keep information about their progress in some
shared space. They can also control the transaction more freely committing in
the middle of the job if it's safe.

--
greg