Re: Best approach for a "gap-less" sequence

From: Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: AgentM <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best approach for a "gap-less" sequence
Date: 2006-08-14 15:32:21
Lists: pgsql-general

AgentM <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com> writes:

> Since the gapless numbers are purely for the benefit of the tax people, you
> could build your db with regular sequences as primary keys and then regularly
> (or just before tax-time) insert into a table which maps the gapless sequence
> to the real primary key.

That's also an interesting approach. An auxiliary table like

transaction integer FK to the transactions table
transaction_nb integer gapless sequence

should do it. A trigger inserting on this auxiliary table would also take
care of everything... If I have an after trigger I believe I wouldn't need
any locking... I have to think about this...

As simple as this might be, I haven't thought about it :-) Thanks for your
suggestion.

--
Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>