Re: Database users Passwords

From: Jorge Godoy <godoy(at)ieee(dot)org>
To: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
Cc: Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, DEV <dev(at)umpa-us(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database users Passwords
Date: 2006-10-17 20:15:13
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com> writes:

> The only crypt I know of is the crypt command (FreeBSD has it at
> /usr/bin/crypt) and is also known as enigma. This is a two way encryption
> and is fast.
> If that is what he is using then decrypting will not be part of the time
> issue and is the basis of the advice I gave.

From the man page of the crypt that I have here:

GNU EXTENSION
The glibc2 version of this function has the following additional
features. If salt is a character string starting with the three
characters "$1$" followed by at most eight characters, and optionally
terminated by "$", then instead of using the DES machine, the glibc
crypt function uses an MD5-based algorithm, and outputs up to 34 bytes,
namely "$1$<string>$", where "<string>" stands for the up to 8
characters following "$1$" in the salt, followed by 22 bytes chosen
from the set [a-zA-Z0-9./]. The entire key is significant here
(instead of only the first 8 bytes).

Programs using this function must be linked with -lcrypt.

CONFORMING TO
SVID, X/OPEN, 4.3BSD, POSIX 1003.1-2001

Well... I suppose DES is not Enigma, but I may be wrong. I just quoted this
"extension" because it shows both algorithms used here.

--
Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>