Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-02-02 22:48:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> - Managing jobs (e.g. - "pgcron")

A number of people have mentioned a job scheduler. I think a job scheduler
entirely inside Postgres would be a terrible idea.

However a cron daemon which used Postgres as a storage backend would be very
cool. It could then provide SQL functions to manipulate the schedule and allow
you to set jobs that call database functions using the existing connection
instead of forcing you to write an external script.

This is something someone could do with no special database background, the
hard part is finding a cron source base which is flexible enough to extend to
use a database backend. I'm under the impression most cron daemons are based
on pretty old and ossified source bases and are burdened by a lot of legacy
compatibility requirements.

--
Gregory Stark