Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

From: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Date: 2023-05-25 20:20:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have completed the first draft of the PG 16 release notes. You can
> see the output here:
>
> https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-16.html
>
> I will adjust it to the feedback I receive; that URL will quickly show
> all updates.

The bit about auto_explain and query parameters says:

> Allow auto_explain to log query parameters used in executing prepared
> statements (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
>
> This is controlled by auto_explain.log_parameter_max_length, and by
> default query parameters will be logged with no length
> restriction. SHOULD THIS BE MORE CLEARLY IDENTIFIED AS CONTROLLING THE
> EXECUTION OF PREPARED STATEMENTS?

This is wrong, the logging applies to all query parameters, not just for
prepared statements (and has nothing to do with controlling the
execution thereof). That was just the only way to test it when it was
written, because psql's \bind command exist yet then.

Should we perhaps add some tests for that, like the attached?

- ilmari

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Test-auto_explain-parameter-logging-with-protocol-le.patch text/x-diff 2.1 KB